From:        Wayne Beaton <emo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        Ashwani Sharma <ashw.kumar@xxxxxxxxx>,
Cc:        Anthony Hunter/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA, Eclipse Modelling Framework <emf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        06/18/2011 11:32 PM
Subject:        Re: [emf-dev] EMF Query2 release

The first step is that you (i.e. the project leadership and committers) need to determine what the moving forward plan is.

Frankly, the more that I look at this the more concerned I am that the EDP is not being followed by the project.
  • The EMF website lists EMF Query 2 as if it were already a project.
  • EMF Query 2 is distributing a "2.0" despite being incubation (incubating project can only release pre 1.0). For that matter, the 2.0.0 release looks totally official (other than the 'N' in the build number, there's no indication on the downloads page that this is a milestone build).
  • AFAIK, EMF Query 2 has not done a single review of any kind.
In short, EMF Query 2 is like a phantom project.

Clearly, there has been a huge breakdown in our processes and I'd like to understand how it happened so that we can fix it.

I am sensitive to your release concerns, and am willing to help fix this. But it needs to be fixed.

How do we proceed? Based on previous assertions that EMF Query is still being used by other folks and will persist for the foreseeable future, combined with the apparently completely separate development teams, code base, and release schedule, I'm inclined to recommend that we schedule an immediate restructuring review in which we can just make EMF Query 2 a separate project. Then EMF Query can decide its own fate.

If this sound right to everybody, we can discuss next steps. We can schedule this restructuring review for June 23-29; best case scenario is that we may be able to do a release review two weeks or so later. Assuming all the pieces fall into place.

Thoughts?

Wayne