Re: [emf-dev] EMF Query2 release

Guys,

In the end it's your choice(s) to make.   Some things are definitely easier as a single project while some things might be easier as separate projects (e.g., different release schedules).  I've not looked closely at either projects, but my impression of the old query technology is that had little value over simply writing Java code.  It seems to have little life and there seems to be little interest in using it.  The new technology definitely generates significantly more interest in the newsgroups so I do see it as a second generation replacement.

Personally I'd rather not see a proliferation of additional projects with effectively identical scope...

Regards,
Ed

Ashwani Sharma wrote:
Hi,

When we started contributing to EMF Query2 project, we have an understanding that EMF Query2 should be next generation query language and sometime in future might replace EMF Query. That has been the main motivation till date to keep everything part of one project.

EMF Query2 projects are build using tycho and EMF Query is build using athena. Hence, both of them have separate update sites. I already made an attempt earlier for merger by bring EMF Query2 features under EMF Query main feature and hence created a new release plan for EMF Query as well, where we included EMF Query2.
But due to lack of time from EMF Query commiters, we decided not to proceed with it. We decided to have inclusion of EMF Query2 only after indigo, so that it does not affect anything for EMF Query in indigo.
Hence, i asked this question now on how to make the new release after indigo.

The problem with approach of two separate projects could be that there will be two projects for same purpose of enable query on emf models. Is it acceptable ?

Regards,
Ashwani Kr Sharma