Re: [emf-dev] Two questions

Robert,

Please use the EMF newsgroup for asking questions.
http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/thread.php?group=eclipse.tools.emf
More comments below.

Robert Worden wrote:

Hi all –

Not quite sure this is the right list to direct these questions to, or if I should have been able to find the answers elsewhere. If so, please tell me how.

I’ve been using Eclipse for several months, porting a tool to do data mappings and transformations onto Eclipse/EMF. But I still haven’t found the answers to these questions:

1.       I use an EMF-generated tree editor for the mappings, with validation; so when I click on a validation error in the Problems view, it opens up the tree on the node. I also have other table views with rows for selected nodes. When I click on a row in such a view, how can I make it open up the editor tree on the right node – just like the Problems view does?

If you look at how the outline view works in the generated editor, you'll see that selections there are reflected in the "Selection" tree view of the editor itself.  So you can look at how that works...

2.       I am sending EMF model instances to a web service using SOAP. Clearly I can pull the XML form out of the SOAP at the service end. But I want to view it there as an EMF Resource, get at the EObjects, etc. Currently the only way I can do this is to write the XML to a temporary file, then read the file as an EMF resource. There must be a better way….

Sure.  There are quite a few load methods. An obvious one is the load taking a stream which would let you load from a byte array input stream.   XMLResource has even more load methods, including ones to load from DOM.  If you have a string rather than bytes, you can bypass the the encoding decoding by using an InputSource...

Sorry if these seem basic – but there is so much stuff in Eclipse/EMF that you sometimes can’t find the easy way to do things, even though it is there somewhere.

You'll want to buy the EMF book. :-P  Searching the newsgroup is very useful too...

Thanks

Robert Worden

Charteris plc,   Charteris House,   39/40 Bartholomew Close,  London EC1A 7JN

phone: 44 1353 777668;      Fax  44 1353 777394;      mobile: 44 7970 197968

E-mail confidentiality notice
This message is private, confidential and may contain information of a proprietary and/or legally privileged nature.
If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system.
If you require assistance, please contact our Registered Office at 39/40 Bartholomew Close, London, EC1A 7JN.
Charteris is a UK Registered public limited company, with Company Registration Number: 3165591
Charteris is registered for VAT in the UK, with VAT Registration Number: 681 1006 67
Further information about Charteris plc is available from our Web site at www.charteris.com