[emf-dev] Status of the EMF Query Component

Hi, all,

The EMF project has had, since Callisto days, a Query component providing a Java API with an SQL-ish feel for structured searches in EObject data.  Since its 1.0 release, this component has not added any new features except for keeping up with its dependencies:  following EMF Core in adopting J2SE 5.0, and adopting new OCL APIs.

It seems to me that this component never did show much "traction" from the user community and I have no plan to initiate any new work for the Galileo release.  A summary of Bugzilla activity looks like this:

  • Raised/resolved since the Ganymede (1.2) release:   0 / 0
  • Raised/resolved since the Europa (1.1) release:  9 / 9
  • Raised/resolved since the Callisto (1.0) release:  11 / 12
  • Raised/resolved since the initial commit:   11 / 10

Note that a significant number of these bugs were releng-type bugs tagged against the Query component but applying to common/replicated artifacts and processes across the EMF Query/Transaction/Validation components and also MDT OCL.

So, my questions to the community are:

  • Do you use the EMF Query component?
  • Are you interested in continuing to develop the EMF Query component?
    • I am happy to help contributors to earn committer rights by working with them on their patches.

Your feed-back is very important to determining whether this component will have a 1.3 release in Galileo, whether it should just produce a maintenance release for Galileo, or whether it should proceed to a Termination Review.

Thanks,

Christian

--
Christian W. Damus
Senior Software Developer, Zeligsoft Inc.

Back to the top