Re: [emf-dev] Fw: [JCRManagement] proposal

+1

gr. Martin

Ed Merks wrote:

Folks,

Sandro is proposing a new component that we will incubate in EMFT. He presented his proposal to the modeling PMC during our last meeting and everyone was comfortable with incubating this new from-scratch work effort within EMFT. I've also reviewed the proposal with Bjorn to discuss any issues of overlap with other projects; he's comfortable with proceeding as well. So I'm sending this note out for your review and to call for a vote to approve it. All existing EMF and EMFT committers are elligible to vote, so please do so with a reply that includes a +1 or -1. Obviously I would recommend a +1 vote. Thanks.

Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
mailto: merks@xxxxxxxxxx
905-413-3265  (t/l 969)

----- Forwarded by Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM on 03/14/2007 02:29 PM -----
*Sandro Böhme <sandro.boehme@xxxxxx>*

03/11/2007 05:32 PM
Please respond to
sandro.boehme@xxxxxx

	Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
cc

Subject
	[JCRManagement] proposal

Hi Ed,

here you find the JCRManagement component proposal. Do you think there
is anything to clearify before proposing it to the community? If
everything is fine please send it to the mailing list.

Thanks,

Sandro

Hello,

to connect the Eclipse community and the JCR (JSR-170, JSR-283)
community I propose the JCRManagement component.

Attached you find a pre-proposal of that project that use synergies of
Eclipse Modeling and the JCR. Once there is a JCR integration
into the Eclipse modeling project I personally think this
could open a very wide range of possibilities and features for
the JCR world and could grow to a very strong community.

++ Roadmap ++
This is the list of next actions in order of priority for the first
phase of the project:
o My next step is to find out how to persist objects with EMF into a JCR
as a basis for the integration into the other modeling components. I
will start a discussion about it in the EMFT newsgroup.
o Proof of concept for a JCR node editor with.
o Proof of concept for a model to model transformation tool (e.g. ATL)
for nodes and node types. Mikaël Barbero from ATL already send me
valuable information that will give me a good kick start with ATL.
o Check AMW if it can be used for weaving node type models to EMF
(ecore) models.
o Proof of concept for GMF integration as a node type modeller tool and
a DSL that is based on nodes.
o Check how the model compare tool could be used for JCRManagement.
o Check how AM3 could be used for a node type repository
o Check how a model to text transformation tool (e.g. XPand or Jet) for
nodes and node types could be used.
After that I will be able to show many advantages of the project and
create a proposal to be presented to the press like InfoQ.com or
CMSWatch.com. The feedback will drive the further direction and roadmap
of the project.

++ Background Details ++
I think I should tell you a bit more about my motivation for this project.
Since some years I'm leading a small project that uses it's own CMS for
a web site. In 2004 I was very excited seeing the JSR-170 started
because it addressed problems that we have in our project. This is why I
    dived into this world in various ways (Graffito Committer Emeritus,
Jackrabbit Contributor, JCR Browser Project Lead). In this time I've
seen some problems coming up like:
o there is no "JCR Browser with editing capabilities",
o what can I use as basis for my JCR Rich Client application,
o migrating node types is hard and
o mapping of JCR types to Java types is not too easy.
In 2005 I started to learn about Model Driven Software Development and
later I had a chance to evaluate MDSD frameworks and tools for our
company. The result was that Eclipse has good frameworks as a basis and
oAW has a good set of M2M and M2T tools. With MDSD and Eclipse know how
I think the mentioned JCR problems can be solved quite elegant.
o The solution for the "JCR Browser with editing capabilities" could be
an exemplary EMF tool.
o An JCR ecore model, EMF resource implementations and the exemplary EMF
tool could serve as a basis for JCR applications.
o Migrating node types can be done type safe with M2M transformations
e.g. with ATL.
o For the type mapping the EMF tooling could fit quite good.
On top of that I think GMF can add very interesting features for the CMS
world. I hope that gives you some background to this project.

Best regards,

Sandro

--
https://www.xing.com/profile/Sandro_Boehme
http://www.linkedin.com/in/sandroboehme

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite/Elver.org
Office: Hardwareweg 4, 3821 BV Amersfoort
Postal: Nassaulaan 7, 3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands
Tel: +31 (0)84 420 2397
Fax: +31 (0)84 225 9307