Re: [egit-dev] Icon Design for Signing Commits

> On 7 Dec 2018, at 15:03 , Gunnar Wagenknecht <gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Are there any volunteers in the community to help creating an icon for Git commit signing in EGit? I'd like to make the icon visible in the Staging View next to the other icons (amend, sign-off-by, etc.).

I can certainly try this. I re-did all EGit icons a while ago in SVG...

> Any suggestions/recommendations?

Spontaneous ideas:

1. An envelope with a seal
2. The same as the sign-off icon but with a small padlock bottom left
3. A stamp
4. A padlock
5. (Instead of a padlock in 2 or 4) A key
6. The commit arrow (red arrow pointing right) without the database but with a padlock on its left end

My personal feelings:

(1) might work, even if it's a commit, not a mail message. But might be well-known enough to convey the meaning.
(2) might work, but I'd have to try how it looks next to the sign-off icon. Has a high chance that it's too similar.
(3) feels a bit strange to me.
(4-6) no opinion, would have to be tried.

Padlocks and keys are fairly widely used as symbols for "encryption".

A padlock has the advantage that it would also make a suitable icon decorator that might be used wherever
we'd like to show that a commit is cryptographically signed, and it fits well into our color scheme (yellowish clouds,
yellowish database, now a yellowish padlock). Don't know if an envelope or a key would work as an icon decorator.
In any case one would have to try the symbol also in the small decorator format.

Cheers,

  Thomas

Back to the top