Re: [egit-dev] Do not expand working Tree on linked editor

On 17 Dec 2016, at 16:24, Daniel Megert <daniel_megert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think it would be ok to add an option to get this behaviour.
It's wrong to add a preference to tweak the 'Link With Editor' behavior which currently does exactly what it is supposed to do and which does the same in all views. Note that the feature is off by default.

I do agree with Dani. The most important thing in any UI is consistency. The behavior is absolute consistent. Introducing a preference option (that no-one might remember in a few years) that would change it for one view but not others makes it inconsistent and potentially confusing.

> Is it possible to have it so that it doesn't expand into the working tree when linked, just highlights the most relevant repository? (See screenshot 2).
That would be a new action/command

Frankly, I think the use case is very special. It might be better to introduce a separate toolbar action, which will "Highlight Selected Repository" but also disables "Link With Editor". However, I'm not sure that this is something that will benefit many users or just one. Thus, I'd be careful with adding it.

-Gunnar

Back to the top