Re: [egit-dev] Handling binary files

Thank you Christian for the crystal-clear answer!

I'll go for a checked-in .gitattributes file since I want to share this with anyone who'd clone the repo.

Laurent

I would go for a .gitattributes file because that’s the only way how you can share this with other developers (if that is what you want).

- I don’t know “Team/File Content preferences“ good but what you express there  is only available when you use eclipse. When you e.g. do merge or cherry-pick from the command-line then this information would not be used and native git may try to create new content for this files.
- $GIT_DIR/info/attributes would be ok (supported by JGit) … but this information will not be transported during push or fetch. Every developer would have to update $GIT_DIR/info/attributes on his own (but maybe that’s exactly what you want)
- A checked in .gitattributes file will be used even if  somebody else clones your repo.

Back to the top