Re: [egit-dev] Mapping on updates-*-nightly to simrel contributions?

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Andreas Sewe <andreas.sewe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi EGit Developers,

we (Code Recommenders) have EGit as one of our upstream dependencies.

The question I have is which update site to build against for our Neon
and Oxygen simrel contributions, respectively, to detect any API
breakage ASAP.

Ideally (from our point of view)  EGit would offer two (nightly) update
sites which will "converge" to EGit's (next) Neon and Oxygen
contributions, respectively.

Now, at the moment
<http://download.eclipse.org/egit/updates-stable-nightly> contains a
4.5.x snapshot and <http://download.eclipse.org/egit/updates-nightly>
contains a 4.6.x snapshot.

Alas, from [1] I cannot tell whether 4.5.x (released tomorrow) will be
your Neon.2 contribution and hence our Neon target platform should point
at updates-stable-nightly.

- updates-nightly always is fed from the master branch
- updates-stable-nightly is fed from the maintenance branch of the last release

Since years we do 4 releases per year which now coincide with the simultaneous
release and its 3 update releases. Earlier we always put the latest release into
the simultaneous release matching our release dates.

But some time ago simultaneous release introduced the rule that new features
entering an update release must be feature complete including release review
until RC1 of the respective update release. Since our June release is meant to ship
with next version of the simultaneous release and we want to have roughly equidistant
releases we no longer ship the latest release with update releases of Eclipse but the
previous one.

So we will ship 4.5.x with Neon.2. The x depends on how many service releases
we create until Neon.2

Is there any documentation on which nightly is heading for which simrel
release?

I now documented this here

-Matthias

Back to the top