[egit-dev] Looking for help adding reference to fork

I know that this is a "dev" list, not a "user" list.  However, all my attempts to get help with doing something with Egit have failed.  I posted to the EGit forum (https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1715162/#msg_1715162), StackOverflow (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33816787/how-to-configure-workspace-with-egit-eclipse-so-my-changes-go-to-branch-on-fork), and even the "Java Programming & Eclipse" community on Google+ (https://plus.google.com/117563360070970470465/posts/CGoo91CEKk4).  I did get a couple of short replies to my Egit forum question, but nothing since that.  The only somewhat substantive help I've gotten is from the Git Google+ community, but their primary advice was to forget Eclipse and do it from the command line. As the codebase I'm trying to work on is an Eclipse plugin, I think it's reasonable to try to work as much within this ecosystem as I can.

I've gone through the entire EGit user guide and some of the auxiliary pages.  I'm pretty new to git, but I've used RCS, CVS, ClearCase, Perforce, and SVN in the past.

I have basic understanding of git, and have even managed to get a handful of trivial PRs merged into a couple of projects, although I didn't have to do complicated things with git to get those done.

Now to my problem, which you can read about on the other links, but which I'll rephrase here.

I started looking at a project on github.  I cloned it to my workspace for examination and debugging.  I found a couple of definite changes I wanted to make and prototyped them locally.  I saved off my changes and then stashed my local changes.  I then went to github and forked the original project, and then created a branch, also on github.

Now, I still have the original workspace in Eclipse, which was cloned from the original project.  The projects are referencing the files in my "git" tree, not copied into the workspace.  Now I need to set up my workspace so I can make changes that can get pushed to the branch on my fork.  I did create a remote to my fork with just a push config, but I don't understand what that does for me.

I'd like to understand the possible options of getting to this point.  I know I could just delete my projects and the git clone and then reclone from my fork and recreate the projects.  I get the feeling that I should be able to simply augment the existing repo through EGit, but I don't understand how to do that.

Back to the top