Von: Matthias Sohn [mailto:matthias.sohn@xxxxxxxxx]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 12. März 2015 17:49
An: Duft Markus
Cc: Halstrick, Christian; Andrey Loskutov; EGit developer discussion (egit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx)
Betreff: Re: [egit-dev] Commit Validation

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 7:27 AM, Duft Markus <Markus.Duft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hey all,

It's gotten quite silent about this. Could somebody give any feedback on the change? I'm OK with "we won't accept it this way" also ;) (maybe as long as there is a viable alternative to do something similar in quality for the end-user).

Just as a demo on how I imagine validators based on the change (real world examples): https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B05h8C3gLt38MVlvOFFaUlh4Yk0&usp=sharing

I appreciate that you are looking into more powerful validation.

I think it makes sense to provide more powerful validations which are better integrated into

the Eclipse workbench than what can be done in scripted hooks.

I think we should go one step farther than what you propose.

I wonder if validators should create problem markers [1] and the git commands like

the commit command should check if problems of certain types/severity exist in order

to decide if it's ok to create a commit or if just to show there are problems.

Which problem types/severities should be reported and/or block git commands should be configurable.

This way we would gain an integration with other validators like build, compiler warnings etc

without imposing an EGit specific API for integrating them.

So you could e.g. configure that a warning should be shown in the commit dialog/staging view

if there are compiler warnings of a certain kind. Or commit could be blocked if the code doesn't

compile. We could add new validators for git specific validations like a commit message validator

checking if formatting of the commit message is ok, contains a link to a bug etc.

Validations could be also integrated with other git commands, e.g. if you want to prevent

that large blobs are entering the git repository the best place to block that would be the AddCommand

since as soon as you staged the big file it's already in the object store of your git repository.

We could use the problem view to display the problems and even implement quick fixes for

git specific new problem types.

-Matthias

Salomon Automation GmbH | Friesachstrasse 15 | 8114 Friesach bei Graz | Austria
Registered Office: Friesach bei Graz | Commercial Register: 49324 K | VAT no. ATU28654300
Commercial Court: Landesgericht für Zivilrechtssachen Graz

Back to the top