Re: [egit-dev] [RFC] releases until Mars (June 2015)

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 11:54 PM, Matthias Sohn <matthias.sohn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As we have to declare participation in Mars release train until M4 (in Dec) we should
decide which releases we plan until June 2015.

I propose we release
- 3.6 in Dec 2014
- 3.7 in late Feb or early March 2015 (before EclipseCon)
- 4.0 in June 2015

I think it's time for a major version bump to get out API changes like
get rid of some long time deprecated API
and consider discontinuing support for old Java versions, java 5 maybe even java 6 ?
Releasing 4.0 in June would give us some time to prepare these API breaking changes.
If necessary we could prepare these API breaking changes on a separate branch.

Opinions ?

nobody raised concerns against dropping Java 5 and 6 support in 4.0
and moving on to Java 7. So let's do it and drop support for Java 5 and 6 in 4.0.

In order to allow working on 4.0 soon I'll create stable-3.7 later today and flip versions to 4.0 on master.
All changes which should reach 3.7 should then be pushed to stable-3.7.
We should merge stable-3.7 to the 4.0 branch regularly to avoid conflicts piling up until 3.7 is released.

I'll also schedule the release review for 3.7 so that we can release it end of February.

-Matthias

Back to the top