Re: [egit-dev] egit: add or add to index?

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 6:07 AM, Stephen Wright <stephen.withey.wright@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
EGit team provider 3.51

there is no 3.51 you probably meant 3.5.1

Eclipse: Scala IDE build of Eclipse SDK

Build id: 4.0.0-rc2-20141030-1206-Typesafe

In the EGit tutorial , the text indicates that one adds a file to git by Team->add  but my experience with the latest EGit has Team->Add to Index.

ask the author of this tutorial to fix the description, it's not maintained by the EGit project

When .classpath showed up in files staged, I hit Team->Ignore, but the file remained in the staging area.

I can't reproduce that using a freshly installed Scala IDE 4.0.0-rc2-20141030-1206-Typesafe which comes with EGit 3.4.1.
I upgraded EGit to 3.5.1 and ignoring .classpath still works properly.

Next, when I tried to commit a modified file, that file did not show up in the commit dialog (however the ignored .classpath file was also not there - an improvement).

This works for me, provide more details about the exact steps you followed.

 Filling out the commit dialog and clicking next did cause the latest changed file to be able to be pushed to origin.

I don't understand this sentence

One mystifying result of using EGit with Scala is that “Run As” returns ‘none applicable’ and a launch configuration must be configured.  If I try to examine the existing Scala launch configuration by clicking or selecting it, I just get a ‘new configuration’ entry.

how is this related to EGit ?

Should .classpath be ignored?

AFAIK Eclipse needs it to configure the project's classpath so if you don't share it via the project's git repository
you need a way to generate it after cloning the repository. If you are using Maven to build your project you could
use its eclipse:eclipse goal to generate both .project and .classpath. Similar goals are probably available for IntelliJ and Netbeans.

What other files should or should not be included.  I’d like the origin to be able to push files to multiple IDEs, such as IntelliJ and Sublime Text.

I don't know since I don't use Scala, IntelliJ and Sublime Text.

--
Matthias

Back to the top