Re: [egit-dev] bug for egit synchronize view showing diff when there are no real diff - git status "fixes" it

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 9:23 AM, Max Rydahl Andersen <manderse@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey,

I'm trying to figure out the proper fix for this issue https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/460751/
which is that egit synchronize view shows a tons of "conflicting changes" when there in reality are only one change.

The reproducible test I have is as follows:

git clone https://github.com/joshuawilson/snowdrop-examples
cd snowdrop-examples
git fetch origin snowdrop-less
git co snowdrop-less

git status  shows no changes.

Now import the project in eclipse and use synchronize view.

Now multiple files shows up as conflicting changes.

I just tried this example using Eclipse Jee package Mars M2 with EGit 3.5.1 on Mac
and it all worked fine and synchronize doesn't show any conflicting changes.

Why ?

Then I run 'git status' on the command a few times and voila, egit synchronize view now shows the correct state: no changes.

Is this a known issue ? what is the git status command doing that makes egit conform to reality ?

git status sometimes has the side effect to update the git index:
If some file is detected to be racily clean [1] by git its git index entry is marked smudged to signal git
that it shouldn't rely on lastModified timestamp for this file. A subsequent git status typically unsmudges
the index entry.

--
Matthias

Back to the top