Re: [egit-dev] [Import] Why proposing the New Project wizard instead of Import Projects wizard?

On 17 Oct 2014, at 9:39, Mickael Istria wrote:

On 10/16/2014 09:25 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
On 16 Oct 2014, at 16:31, Mickael Istria wrote:

On 10/16/2014 04:22 PM, Matthias Sohn wrote:

Also, do you have an idea about my second question? About a generic & backward-compatible way to propagate the Git repo directory to any New/Import wizard?

There is no such way
Actually, I think there is something possible without changing API: using the WizardContainer and Control.setData() to pass extra arguments to the wizards. This doesn't require to change API, just to decide of a good symbol for such parameter.

Sure, but most wizards uses a different parameter for this and most is/should be using the initial selection to calculate what it needs to do anyways.

- that is why we are creating the auto-detector wizard to let wizards like git clone call something more smart than what it does now :)
You're mixing the use-cases: even with auto-detectors, these auto-detectors would need to be given a directory from where to start detection. There goal is to skip the step where user chooses a wizard. But here, we're discussing about skipping the step where user selects a directory for the "New" wizard just after a git import.

No, its the same usecase imo - I think it is broken concept to want to open import wizard for every import you do.

At least the way how these wizards work today it can't be retrofitted imo.

What would it help to pass that directory anyway to a import wizard that only worries about a single project
when a git repo can have multiple ?
In order to find multiple project in a directory, you still need to know where is this directory.

Yes, but that is not the job of the individual project type wizards - thats for the "project detector" to do.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

Back to the top