Re: [egit-dev] History tells me about "origin/master" whereas I don't have a remote called "origin"

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09/03/2014 10:00 AM, Alex Blewitt wrote:
Did it used to have a remote called origin?

You can have a look in .git/refs/remotes/origin/ to see if there's a reference to it there or in .git/packed-refs.
Thanks for your hints.
Indeed, there is such a ref. However, I don't like it. I would like it to be .git/refs/remotes/jbosstools/ like the name of my remote configuration... Anyway, it is not related to EGit then.
I think I understand the reason: I directly tweaked the .git/config to rename origin to jbosstools. Instead I should have used "git remote rename origin jbosstools", that would have as well renamed the refs/remotes/origin folder. Is there any risk in renaming this folder manually?

I think it should be safe to rename this folder manually
in case there are packed refs you also need to tweak .git/packed-refs

or rename jbosstools back to origin and then use "git remote rename origin jbosstools"
or run "git fetch -p"

--
MatthiasĀ

Back to the top