Re: [egit-dev] Let's debate about "Commit and Push" behaviour

On 08/08/2014 11:54 PM, Matthias Sohn wrote:

I think we should not add another click for everybody using the commit+push button.

+1 but I fully agree with Mickaels complain.
I usually have a separate feature branch for each issue I'm working on. We work using a copy of that branch on github where we then create a pull-request from our personal fork to the official master repo (my-github-fork/feature-branch->official-master/master). This makes me hit "Commit and Push" and having the push wizard coming up since I mostly kill my feature branch on github once I fixed the issue. This allows me to create a new push specification. If by mistake I forgot to kill the feature branch on github I end up with a mess on my old (github-)feature branch and a few manual clicks to get the intended push to a new feature branch.
My bet is that there's room for improvement.

We could add a hint where changes will be pushed similar to the recent
enhancements you did for "Push branch". Maybe we could add this as
an editable field so that you can both see the target of the push and change
it if necessary but without adding another click in case the configured
target is ok.

If you are using Gerrit you probably most often push to refs/for/master ?
If you set the push refspec to HEAD:refs/for/master you can push changes from
any local branch to Gerrit's review queue for the master branch.

The editable field feels too manual to me. I'd prefer something that matches what we currently have in the Eclipse toolbar when debugging:
2 buttons:
- a button that launches the last used debug config (button with a bug icon)
- a button that shows all the debug configurations and entries to get the config-dialog for debug-configurations (button right to the left of the bug-button with an arrow-down)
This would allow me to either push to the last used remote branch or get to the push wizard via the "arrow-down".
Btw. thunderbird's using something very similar: you can get all mails for all accounts by hitting "Get Mail" or choose the account you want to get the mails for by hitting the arrow on the right edge of the button and choose the account among the ones that then come up.

--
Matthias