Re: [egit-dev] Fwd: Translated Egit user guide into Spanish

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Diego Alonso González <diego.alonso.gonzalez@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello there,
My name is Diego Alonso González, I'm a native Spanish speaker quite fluent in English, I need to use git and egit and I had troubles to understand the way it works so I decided to study it and translate its user guide too.
I have been using omegat under debian to achieve it so now i'd like  to upload to create a new Spanish 'Guía de Usuario'.

nice :-)

I've created my new user at eclipse org in order to place the translation  but there is no standard translation policy so, could you point me out what to do next?

We edit the user guide in the wiki and use wiki-text to generate Eclipse Help out of it during the Maven build.
The documentation source is manually updated into the egit git repository [1] and the maven build picks it
up from there in order to avoid that the build depends on access to the Eclipse wiki.
I use to update the documentation copied into the egit git repository before tagging a new release
or if someone does larger updates in the wiki.

As a first step you could create a new wiki page under https://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit for the spanish translation.
I could try to tweek the build to produce another flavor of org.eclipse.egit.doc bundle for spanish out of that.
We would also need to extract the documentation into its own feature so that users can choose if they
want to install it and which language they prefer.

I have no idea yet how to ensure that the english original and its
translation stay in sync. We should ask the Eclipse Babel [2] projects for ideas
(or maybe they already have a solution).

--
Matthias

Back to the top