[egit-dev] EGit / Gerrit / Refspec enhancement

Hi all,

sorry for the strange subject, but I didn't know how to put it in a
single line.

Here is the situation, and I would love to hear how others deal with
that and what may be done in EGit to enhance it.

We use Gerrit and Mylyn and so the default refspec is
HEAD:refs/for/master - this is great for normal "review"-operations.

We also have a sandbox namespace in Gerrit where we can put our
prototypes to sandbox/${username}/*

Now, the HEAD:refs/for/master refspec fails, because obviously sandbox/*
stuff should not be pushed to for/master but to the remote equivalent.

So what I would LIKE to use is something like
refs/heads/sandbox/*:refs/remotes/origin/sandbox/*
refs/heads/topic/*:refs/for/master

and maybe even
refs/heads/maintenance/*:refs/for/*

Obviously for a normal Git server this doesn't make sense at all, you
can't push multiple branches to the same remote branch, but for the
virtual for namespace of Gerrit this makes perfect sense.

Would that be useful to others as well? In our case (we have a bunch of
developers not yet used to Git) this would allow us to distribute a
general purpose refspec config which then the devs (as long as the
respect a few rules about the local branch names) wouldn't have to
tinker with the refspecs at first.

Greetings
-Sascha-

Back to the top