[egit-dev] Import Git Projects via Workspace Task

Hey guys.

We have been working on a Workspace Mechanic Task to Import Git Repository projects to your Eclipse Installations.

It functions using a Git Task File (.git) file that contains all the information of the Git Repositories. In our forums, we have a thread with details on the model we’ve implemented -- for context, see
http://www.genuitec.com/support-genuitec/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5090

The main features of the Git Task are:
1. Read the .git model and let you set credentials and local paths for your repositories.

2. Perform the repository Clone and add it to your Egit Repository view.
3. Import the specified projects to your workspace.
4. Check for changes on the Git Task File (.git) and re-apply if needed.
5. Check for changes on your workspace and reaply if needed.

This is still an early version as we’re trying to check completeness of the task implementation -- specifically some areas need improvement, such as the capability to configure the push URL automatically or the ability to import the projects on the workspace using working sets.

I wanted to drop the note here to see if you guys had suggestions on the way to best model Git repositories, the projects to import, etc. as clearly the original PSF project format doesn’t really apply.  For instance, we can have functions like import-all-projects, or import all apart from some projects.

One specific question I had was whether there is a good way to pre-setup Gerrit URLs.  In our particular case, we’ve seen times when the credentials are different between Git and Gerrit, yet want to keep the task UI simple.  Do you have ideas on how best to automate setup of alternate push URLs?

So, what do you think guys?  Any general feedback / thoughts would be AWESOME!

BTW, EGit 2.3.1 is wicked fast.  When we rolled out the update to the team this week, everyone was blown away by the improvements.  I wanted to thank you guys for continuing to roll out awesome work that makes us all so much more efficient!

Best Regards.
Héctor - SDC Developer

Back to the top