Re: [egit-dev] Why is EGit not falling back to HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH or user.home if HOME is not set?

Hi Robin

In my understanding we could improve Windows users live a lot if we'd
fallback to some sane setting (%HOMEDRIVE%/%HOMEPATH%, %USERPROFILE%
or
even java "user.home") if there's no $HOME.
We do. It's just a warning.

Oh, stupid me! Terribly sorry about that, I did not grock that, since I'm using Linux where it never happens. When I now re-ran Windows again and very carfeully read the whole warning it became obvious that EGit is falling back to what I was suggeting ;)

I guess that the wording in the warning could get shortened, since  myself and most users would skip the rest once they read "HOME is not set". That's pretty much what happened to our user here:
https://community.jboss.org/message/784626
We could change it to something like "<path> will be used for storing GIT user configuration and as default repository location since environment variable HOME is not set. If <path> is not correct please set the HOME environment variable and restart Eclipse."). WDYT?

Cheers
André

Back to the top