Re: [egit-dev] [jgit-dev] A vision on rebase

Robin Rosenberg wrote:
> [...]

I agree with Dariusz and Matthias here, I think a separate view
would work better. Problems with integrating into History view:

* The History view is already pretty complex (both code and UI).

* The filtering (limit commits to selected file, dir, project) of
  the History view would be problematic when in rebase mode.
  Would this be disabled during the rebase, to always show all
  commits? Otherwise a user may not realize that there are more
  commits than those that are shown which are rebased.

* When history changes, the History view sometimes relayouts,
  causing a change in the graph and the user has to rescan.

* History view is already a drag source, this would have to be
  overloaded for reordering.

* Integrating the action buttons (pick, reword, etc) into
  the graph using SWT will be hard if not impossible.
  (I'm guessing they would be like the ref labels.)

Some benefits of a separate view:

* The view would guide the user through the process, e.g. it
  would be shown until the rebase is finished. In case of a
  conflict it would instruct the user to fix conflicts and add
  the files. It would also offer Continue, Skip, Abort as buttons.

* The context menu can be entirely separate from the normal
  History view context menu, focusing on the rebase use cases.

* One can inspect history (e.g. in case of a conflict during
  rebase) without losing the rebase context.

* It would only be a linear table of the rebasing commits,
  no other commits around or interleaved with the view. This
  also means a simpler implementation.

That said, I'm looking forward to more detailed UI mockups,
maybe the above concerns can be overcome.

And thanks for starting with this important missing piece
within EGit :).

Regards,
  Robin (the other one)