Re: [egit-dev] [jgit-dev] IMPORTANT update of contribution rules for changes contributed via Gerrit

Matthias Sohn skrev 2012-04-27 00.33:
Wayne published detailed rules how contributions from non-committers
are to be handled when received via Gerrit [1].

The difference to the process we used so far is in section 4:

4. Contributor asserts on the corresponding bug or in a comment on the Gerrit push
record that they:
- authored 100% the content they are contributing
- have the rights to donate the content to EPL
- contribute the content under the EPL

Up to now we only did that on changes over 250 LOCs which
need a CQ to get IP approval from the legal team. Effective
immediately we now have to also record these assertions for
smaller contributions coming from non-committers. The same
assertions are needed if a contribution comes via a patch
attached to a Bugzilla bug.

There is a proposal to further simplify this process following a similar
approach as the one used by the linux kernel project using Signed-off-by
tags [2], but this is still under discussion with the legal team.

Please ensure that you follow the guidelines given in [1] starting from now on.
I updated the contributor guide accordingly [3].

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Resources/Handling_Git_Contributions#Gerrit
[2] section /12) "Sign your work"/ in http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
      and https://git.eclipse.org/r/Documentation/user-signedoffby.html
[3] http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/Contributor_Guide#Legal_Paperwork
     and http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/Contributor_Guide#IP_Review

Does committer status on any Eclipse project imply that the requirements in
section 4 (above) are fulfilled? E.g. Thomasz Zarna has a number of smaller
contributions in Gerrit for JGit, but he is not a JGit committer.

-- robin

Back to the top