[egit-dev] IMPORTANT update of contribution rules for changes contributed via Gerrit

Wayne published detailed rules how contributions from non-committers
are to be handled when received via Gerrit [1].Â

The difference to theÂprocess we used so far is in section 4:

4. Contributor asserts on the corresponding bug or in a comment on the Gerrit pushÂ
record that they:
- authored 100% the content they are contributing
- have the rights to donate the content to EPL
- contribute the content under the EPL

Up to now we only did that on changes over 250 LOCs which
need a CQ to get IP approval from the legal team. Effective
immediately we now have to also record these assertions for
smaller contributions coming from non-committers. The same
assertions are needed if a contribution comes via a patch
attached to a Bugzilla bug.

There is a proposal to further simplify this process following a similar
approach as the one used by the linux kernel project using Signed-off-by
tags [2], but this is still under discussion with the legal team.

Please ensure that you follow the guidelines given in [1] starting from now on.
I updated the contributor guide accordingly [3].

[1]Âhttp://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Resources/Handling_Git_Contributions#Gerrit
[2]ÂsectionÂ12) "Sign your work"ÂinÂhttp://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
  ÂandÂhttps://git.eclipse.org/r/Documentation/user-signedoffby.html
[3]Âhttp://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/Contributor_Guide#Legal_PaperworkÂ