Re: [egit-dev] Missing refs/notes/review in new repository on Gerrit causes fetch to fail

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Shawn Pearce <sop@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> EGit should look at the the advertised references to see if
> refs/notes/review exists before it starts to fetch. If it doesn't,
> don't ask for it. Maybe it makes senes to add an "ignore missing"
> option to the JGit RefSpec object type so that EGit can tell JGit its
> OK if a refs/notes/review reference isn't available for fetch. C Git
> maybe should learn a syntax like that too, maybe "fetch =
> ?refs/notes/review:refs/notes/review". I would push this upstream with
> both C Git and JGit projects and see if we can find a way to make
> these sorts of fetch specifications non-fatal.
>
> Another option is to fetch refs/notes/*:refs/notes/* instead of just
> the review branch.

+1 for having the ? prefix in a fetch spec to mark it as optional
-1 for fetching refs/notes/*. That was the first implementation idea
and we discarded it because you don't know what other notes may now or
in future be available (and maybe you don't want to fetch them by
default)

Sascha

Back to the top