Re: [egit-dev] Regression in selected files?

Am 06.06.11 18:09, schrieb Lay, Stefan:
Hi Alex,

I'm pretty sure that EGit used to select all untracked files by default
in the commit dialog. Yet if I create a new file and click on 'commit'
it's not selected.

The behavior that the untracked files are selected by default was originally implemented for 0.8. It was changed in release 0.10 as a reaction to bug 326947.

If a file was already under Git control, then it is selected.

This might lead to confusion in the end user - for example, I created a
new file, right clicked on it and went to 'commit'. But the file wasn't
selected, so I couldn't commit it. If I had had a different file
changed and clicked on my new file to do a 'commit' then I'd have been
able to blow through the dialog and commit a different file from the
one I was meaning to.

If we aren't going to select untracked files by default, then we should
at least select all the files that are selected in the selection window
(or children of that selection) so as not to confuse others.

Thoughts?
The reason that the behavior was changed was that users complained to have mistakenly committed untracked files.

The dialog behaves like commit -- <file>..., because we preselect the files that are selected in the package explorer. But on the command line commit -- <file>... does not work for untracked files. We want to be close to native git here such that the user has to do an extra step before she adds files to the repository.

However, I would not object to making that behavior configurable, for example by a preference. What do you think?
I like the behaviour from MercurialEclipse:

* there's a preference checkbox: preselect untracked files in commit dialog

and the Commit Dialog has to checkboxes:
* show untracked files
* select / deselect all

I really like this

ekke
Stefan

ekke (ekkehard gentz)
independent software-architect
senior erp-consultant
eclipse | osgi | equinox | mdsd | oaw | emf | uml | blackberry
max-josefs-platz 30, D-83022 rosenheim, germany
mailto:ekke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
homepage (de): http://gentz-software.de
blog (en): http://ekkes-corner.org
project lead: http://redview.org and http://red-open.org
eclipse committer: Runtime Project Riena - http://eclipse.org/riena
twitter: @ekkescorner
skype: ekkes-corner
Steuer-Nr: 156/220/30931 FA Rosenheim, UST-ID: DE189929490

Back to the top