Re: [egit-dev] No visual feedback on chosen tag

On 15 February 2011 10:45, Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I still think there's room for improvement though. The normal case is that
> you work with the head of a branch. If you reset to something else, then
> what you have in your workspace is somewhat out of the ordinary and I think
> some visible feedback to indicate this is called for. So let me rephrase
> what I wrote in the subject to:
>
> "No visual feedback that indicates that what I have isn't the head"

The thing is what you've done is move the HEAD, that's what reset
does.  reset --hard both updates the HEAD and makes your checkout of
the files match the commit pointed to by HEAD.  In effect, your tree
really is clean and the head of your branch is changed to the commit
you selected.

It sounds like what you're looking for is an action to replace all
files with those at a given commit (a la git checkout -- <paths>).
This would replace the files with the version from a particular
commit, but leave the HEAD and index alone.  The CVS tooling has this:
Right click > "Get Contents". You could imagine a similar action for
egit.  It may be worth filing a bug for this as such an action would
be generally useful.

Cheers,
James

Back to the top