[egit-dev] Push using file:// protocol

Hello,
Mylyn Reviews R4E is looking at the possibility to use jgit as the
next step to support shared review repositories in addition to file
system and allow it to evolve to a server based approach.

For this first step (shared reviews git repository) we would like to
push to a central shared repository i.e.. using file:// protocol.
When we attempted this using the latest nightly build of egit, we get
the following error "URI not supported: file:///....", as seen in the
picture.

Are there any plans to support this ?   It would be nice to know what
are the major challenges around it.

/Alvaro