[egit-dev] How to clone an empty remote repo or push without cloning before?

Dear all,
I have problems pushing a new eclipse project into a remote repository:

1) I have created a local git repository as described in the Egit getting
started docs.
On the remote git server I have created a repository containing only an empty
file "README".
If I choose "Team->Push to" on the local repository and select the remote git
server as target, the final "Push Confirmation" dialog shows:
What is wrong with this procedure?

2) Another problem is that I cannot clone a new eclipse project from a remote
empty git repository. I think the reason is that the remote repository must
include a proper .project file. So, next I transfered (using winscp) a .project
file from an

existing eclipse project to the remote git repository. After adding and
commiting the changes I could import this project into eclipse, modify the
project and push the changes back to the remote repository successfully without
the [rejected] error.

This is a hen and egg problem:
1) I cannot push a valid eclipse project to a remote repository unless the
eclipse project was imported from the same remote repository
2) I cannot import a remote repository without .project file into eclipse.

Does a solution exist except for using other tools to get a .project into the
remote repository?

Thanks
Mark

Back to the top