Re: [egit-dev] Installing EGit on windows - issues and what I have done so far

-----Original Message-----
From: egit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:egit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Swindells, Thomas
Sent: Monday, 27 September, 2010 16:38
To: egit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [egit-dev] Installing EGit on windows - issues and what I have
done so far

> > I use the same login to install and use Eclipse
> >
> On Vista and later versions of windows that may not be sufficient as
windows
> does funky folder redirection/virtualization to discourage programmes
writing
> into their program file folder (and give them a greater chance of working
> with multiple or none administrative users), this normally works fine but
> depending on how the file is later opened it can sometimes cause problems.
>
> The simplest advise is if you aren't using a proper windows installer then
> don't just unzip programs into Program Files, instead use a different
directory.

A consequence of what you have told us is that any use of installation or
update within Eclipse is likely to not work / partially work. So this may
not be an EGit problem at all.

Last night, I installed Eclipse in a different location (D:\eclipse) and
then installed EGit and upgraded to the recent release (of Eclipse).  This
all worked, and continued to work when I moved D:\eclipse back to C:\Program
Files\eclipse. Which somewhat validates what you say.

Regards,
Charles

Back to the top