[egit-dev] What we are expecting from Synchronize View in EGit ?

Hi all!

To be honest right now I'm not quite sure what do we want to achieve
while we were synchronizing one branch/tag wit another. Maybe this
discussion should be started few days or weeks ago ... but it is
better to do it right now then throw away some work that where done
based on bad assumptions.

I want to know yours opinion about unstaged/untracked/uncommited files
in synchronize view.
Should they be visible there ?
If yes, should we allow user to stage/unstage and/or commit that files
using this view ?

Since there is up commit Stage View support this will be only a
duplication of functionality. Therefore I'm not so confident about
that.

Two day ago I come up with idea that we should represent changes in
synchronize view in different way then this was done in CVS or SVN. In
Git we can't merge only a part of commit, also (in normal use cases)
we can't skip/delete commits. So IMHO in synchronize view we should
represents diff's in this way:

|-project name
|\
| |- commit description
| |\
| | |- project diffs (commit data/diff's)
| |- commit description
| |\
| | |- project diffs (commit data/diff's)

In compare view we should forbidden moving changes around (this should
be allowed only in parts that are in conflict or in unstaged files).
In context menu for commit item's we should have option 'merge this
and all previous commits'.

What do you thing about this approach ?

Have you got any other suggestions, questions or ideas connected with
synchronize view ?

--
Best regards

GSM: +48 695 192 160