Re: [egit-dev] Translation of reflog messages?

fredagen den 19 mars 2010 05.04.20 skrev  Shawn O. Pearce:
> "Lay, Stefan" <stefan.lay@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Do we need to externalize reflog messages?
> >
> > We proposed a change to externalize all translatable Strings in egit.core
> > (http://egit.eclipse.org/r/#change,332). It contains code that writes to
> > the reflog, for example in BranchOperation:
> >
> > RefUpdate u = repository.updateRef(Constants.HEAD);
> > u.setRefLogMessage("checkout: moving to " + refName, false);
> >
> > Is this message subject to translation? Or maybe only part of it, namely
> > the name of the git command "checkout"? Are there tools which parse the
> > reflog message and rely on standardized texts?
>
> Nope.  Currently nobody relies on the format of the message part of a
> reflog record.  So translating them should not break an application.

> Since these are strictly local to the repository, it probably makes
> sense to translate these messages for the user, so they make sense
> to them when they are reading a reflog history in some sort of
> browser UI.
>
> I say, translate them.

On the other hand we try to use the same format as C git, which doesn't
translate. Keeping the current messages and trying to translate on read is
another option. Be careful to translate only those parts that can be
positively identified, so some pattern matching is required.

If the contents of the reflog is translated before putting it there we destroy
all ability for people to make ad-hoc use of it using . I occasionally grep
the log and a mix of swedish and english makes that much harder.

(Cc:ing the Git ML)

-- robin

Back to the top