[egit-dev] Re: Gerrit offline for JGit rewrite

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Shawn O. Pearce <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Shawn O. Pearce" <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'm going to take Gerrit offline for a bit while I finish the JGit
>> history rewrite and update the database with the new versions of
>> each patch.

Oh.  Something else...

When I insert the rewrite, inline comments are going to be screwed up.
 Inline comments are recorded by line numbers.  Most files have gained
5+ lines in their file header.  Without knowing the delta of the
header for each file in every commit, we can't adjust the inline
comment information in the review database.

Apparently, there are currently 584 inline comments in the JGit
project metadata.  I'll try to write a script to difference the
original commit against the rewritten commit, obtain the delta of what
was inserted for each file, and adjust the comments accordingly.

This is way harder than it should be.  There are really good reasons
why projects don't attempt to forge their history...

--
Shawn.

Back to the top