[egit-dev] 'core.pathencoding' config option

Hello,

I decided to move that thread --
http://marc.info/?l=git&m=125926581922799&w=2, to this mailing list and
publish proposed solution for your further review. I just uploaded a
patch set to EGit Gerrit server. So, you can find it at
http://egit.eclipse.org/r/#change,145.

The goal of these changes is to allow user to specify a character
encoding for path names instead of using "UTF-8" everywhere. I would
assume the changes as "work in progress" due to my lack of understanding
of some JGit classes, i.e. charset usages at these classes:

1. Patch, FileHeader classes: here I couldn't understand how to extract
file names from the whole patch and encode/decode it specifically.
2. QuotedString and related classes: documentation says that file names
are always treated as unicode strings, so should some specific character
encoding be used here?

As discussed at the former thread, it makes sense to create new
repositories with core.pathencoding=UTF-8 preset. My patch set doesn't
include that change yet.

--
Best regards,
Semen Vadishev