Re: [egit-dev] pu branch for egit

Robin Rosenberg <robin.rosenberg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What I'm missing here is a pu branch. I'm not sure how to do it in practice.
>
> Some maintainers have a big list of branches and pull them all into a putative
> branch  from which a build can be done and tested. Before gerrit I
> occasionally did that with patches that looked worthwhile. With stuff for the
> eclipse part of the plugin  we need actual testing in addition to code review.
>
> How do we do this rationally?

Good point.  Right now, you don't.  Gerrit doesn't support this well,
because it wasn't a feature we had to have in other projects that
use it.

We could create a new egit-pu project that you have direct push
rights into, that makes an area basically the same as what we had
on repo.or.cz.  But there's no linkage back to the change review
records.

> I can do  a git ls-remote git://egit.eclipse.org/egit/parallelip-egit and get
> a lot of branches, but what does that list really contain, and it does not
> make sense to pull everything.

Yes, that list is useless.  You need to have the status data to
filter out branches which are abandoned or are for a different
side-branch (cq-diff).  Filtering out merged branches is possible,
its just expensive, many merge base tests.

> Could we automate this partially, say by adding BuildServer as a reviewer? How
> would I get the list of things for BuildServer to test?

We could do that.  You just can't remove BuildServer from a change
once its added.  (This is a missing feature in Gerrit.)

I guess there are two ways to go about making the list of changes
for BuildServer.

The first is to use our JSON-RPC interface to fetch back the
BuildServer's dashboard.  Changes to be reviewed by BuildServer
(middle section) is I guess what you would want to pull together
into a `pu` branch for testing.

The second way is to get a direct SQL interface to the database
and query it directly.  We could do this for the egit vserver,
but I doubt we'll be able to do it on a foundation supported Gerrit
instance.

--
Shawn.

Back to the top