Re: [egit-dev] [JGIT] jgit clone file:// question

Hi,

Mark Struberg wrote:
Hi!

I've changed the maven-release-manager to allow local clones via the file:// protocol instead doing a clone from the upstream repository in the mvn release:perform step.

Now my question:

If I do a $> git clone file:// git (under linux) is so smart to _not_ copy all the repo blobs but only create hardlinks instead. I know this is not possible under windows and surely not with Java. But is there any 'softlinking' which will be used, or will al files be copied over to the new clone when using JGit?

AFAIK there will be no "softlinking".

LocalTransport class uses packfile protocol for fetch even for local connections (i.e. it communicates with JGit UploadPack thread or git upload-pack" program). I am not sure know what clone impl. is used in the maven scenario you mentioned, but I guess it uses FetchConnection, so it is protocol-based.

Hope that helps,
Marek

Back to the top