Re: [egit-dev] sucky TCP connections to foundation servers

Matthias Sohn <matthias.sohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Shawn O. Pearce <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Is it just me, or do foundation servers sometimes just never
> > establish a TCP connection? [...]
> > But egit.eclipse.org is way more pronounced.
>
> I also face such problems. In addition on Gerrit I hit "Bad Request"
> quite frequently and sometimes I even see "Internal Server Error".
> Retrying these failed operations typically succeeds.

Bad Request I see a lot too, I don't think these correlate to
an error on the server, I think its the browser not getting the
socket open.

Internal Server Error, that should only happen if Gerrit crashed.
Looking at the server logs, MySQL is being naughty.  Its sockets
get messed up in the connection pool and then starts spitting back
errors.  I may need to just turn off connection pooling entirely.

Someone else who uses Gerrit + MySQL has also reported this as
a problem, I blamed MySQL since I have never had a problem with
PostgreSQL and the Apache Commons DBCP driver.  Besides, how
can it be my code that is at fault when the MySQL client says:

  java.io.EOFException MESSAGE: Can not read response from
  server. Expected to read 4 bytes, read 0 bytes before connection
  was unexpectedly lost.

Of course, /var/log/mysqld.log is empty.  Arrgh.

I'll try to remove the connection pool sometime today and see if
that reduces the internal server errors.

--
Shawn.

Back to the top