Re: [egit-dev] Whitespace conventions

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 3:57 AM, Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If we're going to enforce a no-trailing-whitespace rule, we should set up
> the project's .settings to allow whitespace to be removed automatically,
> instead of having to go through a submit-reject-revise path each time.
> Hitherto, trailing whitespace never appears to have caused problems with
> other Eclipse projects, and therefore it would make sense to document the
> more strict requirements; but at the same time, we shouldn't be aiming to
> make life more difficult for those wishing to contribute.
> Therefore, I propose that we enforce no-trailing-whitespace from within the
> JDT to make it easier to contribute code to EGit/JGit. Separately, we can
> then decide whether to clean up existing source files (e.g. ResetOperation,
> RepositoryAction) with known trailing whitespace by coming across them at a
> later stage, or whether we do a big-bang update.

I think this is a good idea. We should have consistent project level
settings [1] for our projects.

This should never be an issue if the settings are in place.

[1] - http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/2008/09/09/tip-project-level-settings/

Cheers,

--
Chris Aniszczyk | EclipseSource Austin | +1 860 839 2465
http://twitter.com/eclipsesource | http://twitter.com/caniszczyk

Back to the top