Re: [egit-dev] Project plan for 0.6

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Shawn O. Pearce <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've started a draft on our project plan, which the EMO wanted us
> to have finished by today. :-)
>
>  http://www.eclipse.org/projects/project-plan.php?projectid=technology.egit

Looks good, but wonder whether the reference to a bug is especially
noteworthy for a milestone release?

Also, looking further ahead; can we try and target getting on the Helios train?

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Helios

The M5 is end of Jan but the intent must be declared (along with other
conditions, like a project XML file) by M4+0, which is 11 Dec.

"Projects must have stated and demonstrated their intent to join
Helios by the M4+0 date. Projects do so by adding themselves to bug
251715 and asking to have their project-specific bugs created as
clones of each of those referenced in this table."

The question is, what defines incubation status, and can a project in
incubation declare an intent to join the train? My gut feeling is that
we should strive for this, because the whole M process is a milestone
build itself in any case (i.e. there are likely to be unfixed bugs as
new functionality gets developed) and that by following the process we
can then have the option of joining in the release schedule (whereas
if we don't, we're out for good). I also suspect it's possible to
leave the train or to back out during M4 or M5 if that later becomes
apparent that it's not good enough for inclusion of the release; but I
see no reason why we shouldn't have a committed goal of providing some
functionality (even if it's not 100% feature complete) by the others,
not the least of which is we'll be able to attach an update site and
allow the users to perform interim updates more easily from a base
Helios install, much like Mylyn has interim releases as well as the
on-train release.

This should probably be stated in the plan.

Alex

PS The plan describes JGit as a pure Java library. Is it worth
pointing out that it's EDL here and has no non-BSD dependencies as
well? That might be good marketing information for those wishing to
see Git on non-Eclipse IDEs.

Back to the top