Re: [egit-dev] Eating own dogfood

måndag 22 juni 2009 10:38:00 skrev Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt@xxxxxxxxx>:
> It seems at the moment that using eGit for eGit development also
> requires git under the covers; for example, the oft-used send-by-mail
> functionality. However, in the spirit of Eclipse development, what
> would be good would be to generate mailbox style attachments to
> bugzilla and then be able to apply them to a workspace without having
> to go by mail at all.
>
> The impedance mismatch in this means that (a) it's less easy to do
> reply-to code reviews, and (b) adding the 'Signed-off-by' tagline is
> similarly less easy, unless you were to download/append/upload the
> patch (which seems like a waste of disk space).
>
> What more do we need to be able to run eGit without dipping down into
> the git executable territory?

We need a diff engine. That is the major obstacle to any major success. The
diff engine would open the road toward a full merge and stuff like cherry-
pick, rebase, rename detection , blame etc. (there is a blame, but not
integrated yet).

We have two diff candiates and need to get one of them integrated. There
is one written from scratch, under development, but there is no time line,
for it, so I'm not sure if it is an option in the end. The other is an engine from
the Apache Wicket project, which the blame candidate uses. Other diff
implementations have licensing issues.

-- robin

Back to the top