[edt-dev] future: EDT will use Git not CVS

Hi EDT,

I'm writing to give you some advance notice of a big change in the way we develop EDT.  It will happen sometime this summer.

For years, Eclipse has provided three kinds of repositories for its projects' source code: CVS, Subversion, and Git.  We chose CVS because many of us were familiar with it, and it worked well.  Unfortunately, Eclipse is ending support for CVS on Dec 21 of this year.  CVS at eclipse.org will become read-only.  They're also planning to end support for Subversion eventually (a date has not been set yet), so we will be moving to Git.

We'll make the change after RBD 8.5 is finished, which will probably be in mid-June.  I opened Bug 375113 to track the work.  Please use that bug to ask questions and to share any helpful information you have about Git.

Personally, I know *nothing* about Git except how to spell it.  My role in the move to Git will be to create the new repository and move our source code (including the change history).  I expect that we'll put together some kind of educational package before the migration happens.  I may help with that too.

A starting point for learning about Git is http://wiki.eclipse.org/Git#Committers_new_to_Git .  If you'd like to experiment with it, you could check out git://dev.eclipse.org/org.eclipse.edt/org.eclipse.edt.git .  It's a read-only Git repository that mirrors our CVS repository.

  -Matt

Matt Heitz
Developer, Eclipse EGL Development Tools and IBM Rational Business Developer
http://www.eclipse.org/edt/
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/products/rbde/

Back to the top