These explicit cases are pretty clear cut. There's a whole other category of "inactive committers" where someone doesn't commit anything for a long time and gives no sign of being involved any longer and perhaps can not even be reached through email notes. The end result, in those cases, is that at some point the PL will need to remove them, and simply explain "they have been inactive for over X months". The typical "cutoff" at Eclipse is 3 months, but, as it could be any reasonable amount of time .... as long as you, as a project all agree and know what it is and apply it consistently. And, often, even where projects have said "3 months", people are often kept on longer ... I know webtools usually tries to "clean up" the list once a year, a few months before the main release. On the opposite side, the form at the portal allows the PL to mark someone as active, even though they have no commits for a long time, and explain why, such as "Mr. ABC still comments on bugs and give presentations, just isn't in a position to commit code right now" ... but, honestly, not too many projects make the effort to fill in that detail ... I'm just explaining as I'm sure the question will come up eventually. (And, by all means, be as accurate and detailed as you like).

Hope this helps ... and hope it is not too much more than you wanted to know (I am known for my wordiness :)

Thanks for asking, and thanks for "keeping your lists clean".

Inactive hide details for Matthew Heitz---11/03/2011 03:15:53 PM---This question is for David Williams, but I'm sending it throMatthew Heitz---11/03/2011 03:15:53 PM---This question is for David Williams, but I'm sending it through edt-dev so we can all see the answe

From: Matthew Heitz/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
To: edt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,
Date: 11/03/2011 03:15 PM
Subject: [edt-dev] removing committers
Sent by: edt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

This question is for David Williams, but I'm sending it through edt-dev so we can all see the answer, and it'll be in the archive for future reference.

David: Alice Connors has resigned as a committer for EDT, and Jon Shavor told several of us (verbally) that he wouldn't be involved after he retired at the end of May. He's been true to his word. I believe the next step is to notify the PMC so they can be removed from the list of committers. Is this message sufficient, or is there something else we need to do?

-Matt