[edt-dev] IDE and debug components added to CVS

Today we got approval to contribute the IDE code! You can find it in HEAD under org.eclipse.edt/ide/:

org.eclipse.edt.ide.compiler
org.eclipse.edt.ide.core
org.eclipse.edt.ide.ui

This component includes functionality such as the EDT builder, indexing, search, compiler & generator IDE integration framework, wizards, source editor, perspectives, views, preferences, etc.

For now, to use the IDE tooling you'll need an "Eclipse IDE For Java EE Developers" 3.6 build, available at http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-ide-java-ee-developers/heliossr2

Tip: There's a nasty old Sun JRE bug that can cause classloader deadlock (IBM JRE is fine). While we look for a way to get around this, you'll want to use the following vm arguments (also included is better settings for the heap): -XX:+UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions -XX:+UnsyncloadClass -Xmx768m -Xms40m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m

Once you have a running IDE, use the EGL Project wizard to create a project, or right-click an existing project > Configure > Convert to EGL Project to add EGL capabilities to it. Then right-click the project > Properties > EGL Compiler, select "EDT Compiler", and optionally enable a generator. EDT generates on build for all enabled generators.

Also added today is the beginnings of the EDT debugger, located in HEAD under org.eclipse.edt/debug/:

org.eclipse.edt.debug.core
org.eclipse.edt.debug.ui

This is just the beginnings of the debugger, and still has a lot of work that needs to be done. You can set breakpoints in the EGL editor, but to launch it you must right-click the generated .java file > Debug As > EGL Java Application. This debugger uses JSR-45 to handle mapping the generated Java source to the EGL source when stepping, and we expanded upon that to control the Variables view (again, still needs a lot of work).

We'll be working on adding both the IDE and debug components to the build in the next day or so.

-Justin

Back to the top