[eclipselink-users] ConnectionPool deadlocks

Folks;

we use EclipseLink JPA (2.6.0) in a Dropwizard based service and
recently are running into deadlocks. In those situations, all services
trying to do database I/O will run into timeouts and the whole
application becomes unusable.

Looking at thread dumps, by then we see plenty of these:

"dw-102 - GET /foo" - Thread t@102
   java.lang.Thread.State: BLOCKED
        at org.eclipse.persistence.sessions.server.ConnectionPool.acquireConnection(ConnectionPool.java:128)
        - waiting to lock <5166ee20> (a org.eclipse.persistence.sessions.server.ConnectionPool) owned by "dw-79 - GET /foobar" t@79

"dw-101 - GET /bar" - Thread t@101
   java.lang.Thread.State: BLOCKED
        at org.eclipse.persistence.sessions.server.ConnectionPool.releaseConnection(ConnectionPool.java:325)
        - waiting to lock <5166ee20> (a org.eclipse.persistence.sessions.server.ConnectionPool) owned by "dw-79 - GET /foobar" t@79

What might be causing this? We thought about too few connections in a
pool but releaseConnection() not being able to complete makes us
question that. Any ideas on that?

TIA and all the best,
Kristian

Back to the top