Re: [eclipselink-users] getting started

We have a mixed team of Eclipse & IntelliJ, so the ideal solution would simply be something that is not IDE dependent ( like a Java tool ). We have three DB's (or schemas or sets of tables), so a tool for generating the entity classes to get started on a large set of tables would be helpful, otherwise one person that uses Eclipse would be assigned the task and own that piece of doing all the work to get started on all three DB's.

If there is not a tool, I could look at Dali and pull the ideas out into a java tool that is driven by command line options or by a .properties or .xml file, but thought I would check to see what is out there, if anything.

J.V.

On 6/1/2012 10:00 AM, eclipselink-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Today's Topics:

    1. Re: eclipselink - getting started (Neil Hauge)

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 10:45:47 -0400
From: Neil Hauge<neil.hauge@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: eclipselink-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [eclipselink-users] eclipselink - getting started

J.V.

You should take a look at the Eclipse Dali[1] tools, especially if you
are an Eclipse IDE user.  If you are using NetBeans, there are JPA
entity generation tools included there as well.

Dali will handle generating the relationships and will actually show you
what it is going to generate before completing the wizard.  Support for
generating entities with inheritance is not supported in Dali, and I'm
not aware of any JPA tools that support doing this.  My recommendation
would be to refactor the code after generation to improve the model.

Supporting the four databases shouldn't be a problem, as this will be
handled by EclipseLink at runtime.  You may want to review your java
attribute types in the wizard to be sure that the java types being used
are satisfactory for your application.

Dali has a lot of specific support for EclipseLink, so if you are
interested in EclipseLink JPA tooling, I highly recommend checking it
out.  Dali is available in the main Eclipse update sites for Indigo or
Juno versions, and comes installed in the Eclipse Java EE Packages.

If you need additional help with Dali, you can find more support at the
Dali forum[2].

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/dali/
[2] http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/f/113/

Neil