Re: [eclipselink-users] How to tell EL to hold an extra database connection for primary key generation

In persistence.xml specify "eclipselink.jdbc.sequence-connection-pool" property with value "true"

You don't need anything else if you don't use JTA (TransactionType.RESOURCE_LOCAL);

If you use JTA (TransactionType.JTA):
sequencing connection pool must use non jta data source, therefore if you use JTA, then you have to additionally specify a non jta data source.
Specify it using either "non-jta-data-source" element in persistence.xml
(then the data source will be used for sequencing and reading outside transactions); or alternatively specify it in "eclipselink.jdbc.sequence-connection-pool.non-jta-data-source" property (then the data source used by sequencing only).