[eclipselink-users] embedded objects with null values

Hi folks,
we encounter problems with embeddables.
Lets say we have this class Purchase like in EL test suite: a class with an embedabble which itself contains a relation (currency).
@Entity
public class Purchase {
    @Id
    @GeneratedValue
    private int id;

    @AttributeOverride(
            name="amount",
            column=@Column(name="FEE_AMOUNT", nullable=true))
    @AssociationOverride(
            name="currency",
            joinColumns=@JoinColumn(name="FEE_ID", nullable=true)))
    @Embedded
    private Money fee;

    public int getId() {
        return id;
    }

    public Money getFee() {
        return fee;
    }

    public void setFee(Money fee) {
        this.fee = fee;
    }

In our use cases, we create Purchase with the embedded money = null (business logic says we add price later…). This should be legal because we defined all contained attributes as nullable. But we get an exception:
Exception [EclipseLink-68] (Eclipse Persistence Services - 2.1.2.v20101206-r8635): org.eclipse.persistence.exceptions.DescriptorException
  Exception Description: The value of an aggregate in object [anObject] is null.  Null values not allowed for Aggregate mappings unless "Allow Null" is specified.

In EL 1.x.x this worked?
How can we get things working?

Thanks in advance, Markus

Back to the top