Re: [eclipselink-users] Conditional LEFT JOIN in JPQL

Hi, Tom,

  Totally agree with Bernard. There is no reason to have a foreign key relationship between two entities without mapping for that relationship defined (although I have one :-) but that's my special case). There is a need to have the ability to address a subset of related records in LEFT JOIN table, i.e. filter records in joining table before applying a relationship. That's what is doing "ON" keyword in native SQL. Bernard's examples are quite simple and clear, how it works. I have a bit more complex:
  Say application has the ability to dynamicaly extend table structure, i.e. virtualy describe additional columns in a table. For example we have a table:
[Country]
String name
Integer id

Customer wants to extend this table to add some extra fields, say "language" and "nationality". Such extra data is stored in a table:
[ExtCharFields]
Integer country_id
String fieldName
String fieldValue
Integer id

So, to present a table for viewing/editing, native SQL would look like this:
SELECT c.name, e1.fieldValue AS language, e2.fieldValue AS nationality
  FROM Country c
  LEFT JOIN ExtCharFields e1 ON c.id=e1.country_id  AND e1.fieldName = "language"
  LEFT JOIN ExtCharFields e2 ON c.id=e2.country_id  AND e2.fieldName = "nationality"

With this single SQL I get all I need and also can do any kind of sorting, paging, filtering results and etc., but I don't have any object/relational mapping, even can't use @SqlResultSetMapping, because query is dynamic. I could do this in JPQL, if it will support "ON" clause.

Hope I was clear enough to illustrate the problem ;-)