[eclipselink-users] Eclipselink Vs Hibernate

Hi,

  May I request the eclipselink community to enlighten me on certain aspects of eclipselink where I could not find convincing answers when eclipselink is compared with hibernate?
  Before I start let me make it very clear that I'm not a hibernate fan and I just want to confirm that eclipselink is not lagging behind in certain areas where hibernate advertises
  that it excels; on the other hand I don't want to bring back the infamous ORM wars with this mail :)

  To start with, here are the feaures the hibernate website highlights:

     1. Hibernate Validator
     2. Hibernate Search
     3. Enhanced Query Facilities, like the DetachedCriteria and the HQL on top of JPQL
     4. Threadsafeness and Non-blocking data access
     5. Google Contributed Hibernate Shards

   I know how simplified and powerful Eclipselink native _expression_ API is (should I tell you how much I loathe the hibernate criteria API? ), but not sure if it can be used when the database session is closed, for example to build the query from UI layer; and I did not find any JPQL enhancements either by eclipselink.

   Also, I found in my googling a search library called Compass which is based on Lucene that can be used with eclipselink for searching, but not sure how eclipselinkish ( if i can use the word ) its API is while on the other hand hibernate search is very much integrated with hibernate core.

   When it comes to shards, I think eclipselink does not have this as of now (may this be taken as a feature request?).

   Please correct me if have presented anything wrongly here; my intention is to get  a better picture of where eclipselink stands when compared to hibernate in the above said feature list.

  I know hibernate is no match when it comes to the breadth of the variety of datasources that eclipselink supports; but I want to narrow the comparision to where hibernate has some foothold and can
  compete with the monster :)

  The reason I'm doing this is to fight with my friends who work on hibernate and tell them that theirs is not the whole world and much more lies out side of the confines they have set themselves in.

Thanks and Regards,
Samba

Back to the top