[eclipselink-users] Temporal annotation acts differently than mapping?

It appears that the temporal annotation provides different results than the
temporal mapping.

I'm using EclipseLink 1.1 against Oracle 10g.

I have a table with a column defined as DATE

The corresponding attribute in my entity class is defined as a
java.util.Date

When I map this attribute to the column via the @Temporal(TemporalType.DATE)
annotation,
I expect to get a date with no time element and I do.

When I map this attribute to the column via the
@Temporal(TemporalType.TIMESTAMP) annotation,
I expect to get a date with the time element set and I do.

However, when I map this entity to the table via orm.xml mapping instead of
annotations
and associate the <temporal>TIMESTAMP</temporal> with the date attribute,
the
date value populated by EclipseLink does not contain the time element as
expected.

So it looks like the @Temporal(TemporalType.TIMESTAMP) is acting correctly
but the <temporal>TIMESTAMP</temporal> does not act correctly.

What's up?